November 4, 2011

Patisserie

Patisserie No. 4
Fauchon
24-26-30, Place de la Madeleine, 8th Arr.

Taking a full block to house it's pastries, snacks and goodies, Fauchon has one of the most extensive bar a madeleines! They give you 14 flavors to choose from ranging from hazelnut to saffron. Being the oh so modest person I am, I only purchased four. Raspberry, caramel, orange and chocolate were the flavors calling my name. And because I don't feel madeleines are a true patisserie item, more so a nibble you'd find at a boulangerie, I also grabbed their famous Baba du Rhum.


Patisserie Purchased: Madeleines
   Cost: 150 (x4)
     Patisserie Purchased: Baba du Rhum
Cost: 650










The madeleines were comme ci comme ça; the orange and chocolate were great, the caramel and raspberry not so much. The Baba du Rhum was absolutely disgusting. I took one bite and had to throw the rest away. I like alcohol-y sweets. But this little spongey cupcake-thing was completely saturated in dark rum (so much so they give you a straw with it), then topped with a thick layer of dense whipping cream. The kind of whipped cream that leaves a heavy film on the roof of your mouth. My friend Emma couldn't even stomach it. However, don't let this scare you. They obviously have an outstanding reputation for a reason. Go there, just stay clear of the Baba du Rhum.

Scale from ONE to TEN:
SIX

No comments:

Post a Comment